Wednesday, April 18, 2007

life is NOT better on the beach

So almost a year ago I had really packed on the LBs so I made the extremely unwise decision to go on the South Beach diet. The premise of this diet is that for the first two weeks you don't consume any alcohol, caffeine, sugar, or carbs in order to get rid of your sugar cravings. Well, I'm sure all my blog-fans know this was beyond difficult for me. After the first two weeks you can slowly add back in some carbs and one glass of wine per day, but absolutely no beer or sugary liquor drinks. I ended up dropping some major poundage (which I of course gained back the minute I went off the stinkin' diet) and vowed to myself that I would never participate in the South Beach diet (SBD from here on) again.

In approximately 3 days, me and the rest of the McCullough/Byars clan will be beverly-hillbillyin it over to Italy and in an attempt to not be the fat American in Italy I again made the extremely unwise decision to go back on the SBD. I am anticipating a 10 pound weight gain while in Italy from what I can only guess will be a gorge fest on pasta, pizza, wine, bread, and gelato so I thought that maybe I should drop 10 before I go. This time around I decided to modify the diet ever so slightly by continuing to drink wine throughout the first two weeks. Well, let's just say I figured out why you are not supposed to drink any alcohol at all during the first two weeks. It has nothing to do with alcohol spiking your blood sugar or any of that crap and everything to do with what you eat when you're three sheets to the wind. Let's just say that I think I have managed to gain 10 pounds in two weeks on the diet so when you add in the 10 I plan on gaining in Italy, I have really gained 20 pounds while dieting. Is this even possible??

Which leads me to the title of this blog. Have you seen those commercials for the SBD where there are all these beautiful people at this amazing party standing around eating appetizers and drinking out of pineapples with little umbrellas talking about how great the SBD is?? Well, that is a load of crap!! They can't drink those drinks! Life WOULD be much better on the beach if that was what the diet about. Anyways, I digress. Don't do the SBD. Period.

Goodnight blog,
Jessie

UPDATE from previous blog: My mother really enjoys the blog but thinks that it is very inappropriate for a doctor to have a blog entitled "My Life as a Lush." I, however, think that my blog title is very indicative of my life and appropriate. What do you think blog-fans?? Should I change the title of my blog? If so, any suggestions??

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never used a blog before, I hope this works... Well, we're going to miss you this weekend, but have a fantastic time in Italy- The Vatican is the most amazing thing you'll ever see. And speaking of beaches, you should come down during your 3 months off and entertain me at the beach during my 3 months off. Call me, if you remember my number :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog title is PERFECT for you. And no kidding that's why you're not supposed to drink. Probably also because there's a difference between one glass of wine and one bottle of wine.

I want to see you before you leave...call me please.

Ryan said...

Dude...time to scrap the south beach diet. Try your best to eat healthy when you can, work out a 3 or 4 days a week, and don't eat after 8 PM unless it's 3 in the AM and you're drunk. You may not lose 10 pounds doing that but you definitely won't gain 10 pounds. Also, I think you're not gonna gain as much weight as you think. You're going to be walking around and doing all kinds of shit and you're not going to want to eat anything too heavy during the day anyway. You may actually wind up losing some lbs...


i am totally bored today, hungover, and havent moved off the couch.
If that's not enough to convince you the blog name is already perfect then I don't know what is...

Anonymous said...

Mad props to Mr. Bello for being the first blog-fan to quote me on my own blog!! Diggity-dam I'm proud.

-jessie said...

So sorry I am going to miss your bachelorette party - I know it will be tons of fun. Take a bunch of pics so I can see everything that I missed. Can't wait to watch you get hitched and see everyone again! You also get mad props for the blog comment - keep it up and please read Sarah's comments from my first blog. You'll think it's funny.

Anonymous said...

Well damn... apparently I am in the remedial group as I have yet to leave a single comment...

Bueno idea here (the blog that is) - and on the title question? Please. You are three steps ahead of the rest of us who are in various stages of alcoholic denial. And when I say the rest of us, I mostly mean me.

Have fun in Italia! I am muy jealous, although somewhat mitigated by the fact that I am spending the next week in Manhattan. Sometimes work travel turns out not so bad.

Give A&J a hug for me when you see them this week. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey there. OK - the SBD bit is VERY humorous! And girlfriend - you know I can sympathize with ya on any diet! And let me be the first to say - not having actually "drunk" in the past 5 months - don't ever give it up until you absolutely HAVE to!!! it's worth a few extra lbs!

No diet talk whilst in Italy - OK! And if it makes you feel better - I'll make everyone look & feel slimmer! : )

So, now the big sis must weigh in on the blog name. As much as I love it & find it more fitting than just about anything else you could've chosen, I'm not sure that if I were doing some digging on my potential OB that I'd want to know that her blog was "mylifeasalush". That being said, I've never done a damn bit of digging on my own OB, so take it for what it's worth!!! I'd just hate to see it come back & bite you in the ass.

OK - so Jay & I have spent the last 20 mins or so on your blog, after quite a bit of time on the Italy prep, so it's time to head to bed. we love you & can't wait to see you on Friday.

OH - Hey & hugs back to Susan J. And congrats to Julie!

Love ya lil sis!!

Anonymous said...

sis-how cool is it that you and boo boo got a shout out in the blog comments?? i mean, whoa. as for the title bit, you don't put your name anywhere when you sign up for a blog so all blogworld knows is that the name i sign my blogs with is jessie. does that change anything?

also, attention to all my blog stalkers...today i will be spending the entire day with ms. s's fourth grade class so i will unable to blog all day as i usually do. i think it will be all right if we work through this together. i'll be back later today. peace out!

Anonymous said...

Well, I am so excited to see that my name made it on the blog site! Had fun at the crawfish festival, however, I'm quite certain that Jodie hates you now. Oh well, I'll still be your friend if my name continues to appear on your blog site! See you tonight for chick pea salad!